Price range, per nightmin R max R
Hardly a speck on the map, the rural village of Alldays lies tucked away in the northern corner of South Africa’s Limpopo Province. Yet with less than 5000 residents, Alldays is the commercial centre for the entire region, servicing the diamond mine nearby and surrounding game farms. The village has an airfield for light aircraft traffic.
The region has a varied vegetation, offering up majestic African landscapes and sunsets, and richly imbued with wildlife. Game drives, hiking and birdwatching are the area’s main attractions.
The climate is perfect for citrus farming and Alldays is a large producer. The village is close to the fertile corridor that flanks the Limpopo River that Rudyard Kipling once wrote was a “great grey-green greasy river, all set about with fever trees”.
For those seeking exciting game viewing opportunities and to be able to relax in absolute quiet in the evenings, Alldays should be top of mind.
Top 5 reasons to visit Alldays
1. Take a walk through the village to engage with the locals then visit the site of the gigantic fig tree that residents claim is the largest tree in the country.
2. The Limpopo Wilderness Hiking Trail is a 3-day hiking trail along the river, passing riverine forests, old ruins and mines. Expect to see vast birdlife, various buck species and the occasional croc.
3. Travel to the 28000ha Mapungubwe National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of South Africa’s gems. Tour the Lost City on Mapungubwe Hill, stroll along the boardwalk and spend time in the fascinating Interpretation Centre.
4. Mountain climbers are attracted to the Blouberg Nature Reserve, south of Alldays, where there are good climbing opportunities. Contact the Alldays Mountain Club for details of established routes and safety info.
5. Enjoy the celestial show on view every evening where even the smallest of stars are visible in the clear night skies of Alldays.
Alldays has its own air field for chartered flights. The nearest international airport is Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport in Nelspruit, 460km away. Car rental agencies are located in Nelspruit, otherwise order a vehicle online and collect at a convenient location. There are no formal taxi and shuttle services in the area, a car rental is the most practical option.
Did you know?
Not far from Alldays lies the town of Mara where a cross-breeding project took place between 1937 and 1963. The aim was to produce a strong breed of cattle and the project was a complete success, creating the Bonsmara breed, named after the town and Professor Jan Bonsma who oversaw the process.
The De Beers diamond mining company established a school in Alldays called the Khula Weekend School to assist children from disadvantaged backgrounds to improve their grades in order to easily access university education.