Price range, per nightmin R max R
Rosebank JHB, Auckland Park, Sunninghill, Kyalami, Johannesburg (Joburg), Northcliff - Johannesburg, North Riding, Muldersdrift, Melrose, Sandhurst, Bryanston, Gold Reef City, O.R. Tambo Airport, Lanseria, Sandton, Braamfontein, Fourways, Midrand, Melville, Dinokeng
Johannesburg Zoo, Sandton City, Hillbrow Tower, Liliesleaf Farm, Nelson Mandela Square, SAB World of Beer, Satyagraha House, Moyo Restaurants, Constitution Hill, Brenthurst Gardens, Apartheid Museum, Newtown Cultural Precinct, Enoch Sontonga Memorial Park, Radium Beer Hall, Johannesburg Art Gallery and Sculpture Park, Nelson Mandela Bridge, ABSA Art Gallery, The Bag Factory, Bensusan Photographic Museum, Oriental Plaza, Standard Bank Gallery, MuseuMAfricA
With a major arterial road running down its centre, Dunkeld West in Johannesburg is a blend of commercial and residential properties. Behind all the enterprising business activity lies a peaceful neighbourhood with dignified homes, the street noise stifled by broad tree-lined avenues and high walls. The suburb’s newer developments have master built cluster homes and stylish apartments where no expense has been spared on design and fittings.
Dunkeld West residents have corner bakeries, fine dining restaurants, art galleries and extraordinary shopping facilities on their doorstep. And the suburb boasts a large park, beautifully maintained by its inhabitants.
Some of Johannesburg’s top advertising agencies have found a home here, attracted to the buzz, close to good eateries for lunchtime staff meetings and wine bars for after hour client engagements. A national radio station and national TV broadcaster are located here too and the chic Hyde Park shopping centre and an international hotel adjoins the suburb.
Top 8 reasons to visit Dunkeld West
1. The area is renowned for its excellent restaurants both in the suburb and in neighbouring Craighall Park and Hyde Park. Ask your host to recommend something unique.
2. Hyde Park mall has two magnificent art galleries; the Chérie de Villiers Fine Art Gallery housing paintings from local artists and the Charles Greig Gallery, displaying beautiful sculptures created from bronze and ceramics.
3. Delta Park is 108ha of sprawling park, woodland and manmade dams. Take the time to walk the paths and enjoy the greenery. The park has an environmental centre and the Florence Bloom Bird Sanctuary is located here.
4. The award-winning Randpark Golf Club has two courses to play; the recently reshaped Firethorn 72-par course and Bushwillow that was remodelled in 2012 and new holes added to change from a par 70 to par 72 course.
5. The Craighall River Market takes place every 2nd Saturday in the grounds alongside the Colourful Splendour Nursery. Arts and crafts on show and various foods and fresh cold-pressed juices available to purchase and enjoy under the trees. Pop in to the nursery to check out the indigenous plants.
6. Replenish the wallet for some high end shopping at Hyde Park Corner. The mall has over 100 luxury stores, many of which are internationally branded fashion boutiques. Gift cards of up to R5000 value are available for purchase.
7. Take a guided 90-minute day tour of the 55ha Johannesburg Zoo to learn more about the various animals housed here. Unusual residents include pygmy hippo, red bellied lemur and western lowland gorilla.
8. Make space in your luggage to purchase unique African keepsakes from the stall owners at the Rosebank African Craft Market. Items on sale include beautifully crafted wooden masks from all parts of Africa and Nguni cow hides. Ensure you are given an export permit when buying a hide.
Dunkeld West is 30km away from both the OR Tambo International Airport and Lanseria Airport, a domestic airport located north of the suburb. The Gautrain (express rail service to the airport) operates between the airport and Marlboro Station, the nearest stop from Dunkeld West 14km away. Order a car rental from the various agencies at the airport or online. There are a number of metered taxi and shuttle service companies operating in the area or you could register with Uber and order a ride via your mobile phone.
Did you know?
Dunkeld West is likely named after the ancient city of Dunkeld in Scotland, famous for the cathedral that once dominated the landscape.
The tiny fishmonger Fisherman’s Deli in Dunkeld West is known for sourcing difficult to find fish such as Scottish salmon, and the shoppers arrive early on Saturday mornings expecting fresh arrivals. The store and their suppliers only sell seafood approved by the Southern African Sustainable Seafood Initiative (SASSI) to ensure that fish under threat are not caught and sold.