Price range, per nightmin R max R
Wapadrand, Menlo Park, Lynnwood Ridge, Die Wilgers, Pretoria North, Moreleta Park, Colbyn , Val de Grace, Faerie Glen, Waterkloof, Erasmuskloof , Riviera, Waterkloof Ridge, Silver Lakes , Montana Park, Hatfield, Pretoria (Tshwane), Brooklyn Pretoria, Irene, Kameeldrift
The suburb of Garsfontein in Pretoria East was farmland as recently as the early 1980s. Well laid out, modern housing developments now occupy the land in this desirable city suburb. A tributary of the Moreletta River flows through Garsfontein, creating a natural green lung for residents to enjoy the bird life and to walk their dogs. And the area has a number of shopping centres, parks, gyms, churches, schools and entertainment to save residents from venturing out of Garsfontein.
Many of Garsfontein’s eco-friendly residential properties and businesses are fitted with waste saving resources for people to enjoy a greener, healthier lifestyle.
Garsfontein has a PGA championship golf course, stunning wedding venues, the suburb is close to farmland where pecan and almond plantations thrive and conveniently located between the M1 and M4 national highways for easy access to major centres.
Top 6 reasons to visit Garsfontein
1. The beautifully landscaped Jimmy Aves Park is the site of the weekend Serene Market with stalls offering unusual crafts and wholesome foods. The park is also the site for the CrossFit fitness programmes that takes place from the community centre.
2. Garsfontein has an overabundance of shopping facilities; Woodhill Park Centre, Sunbird Centre, Garsfontein Village Shopping Centre are all located in the suburb while the Atterbury Value Mart adjoins Garsfontein. The mega-mall Menlyn Park Shopping Centre, with 275 stores, is a short distance away.
3. For a miniscule entrance fee, the spotlessly clean Zita Park is a great place to enjoy a picnic on the lawns beside the swimming pool. A waterslide runs into the pool and there are bicycle paths, a play park for young children and small café to purchase snacks.
4. Need to keep the children entertained? The Menlyn Skate Park is a popular skateboarding facility in the suburb with the 19th Hole putt-putt (mini-golf) course alongside.
5. Travel to Horseback Africa outside the village of Cullinan – a 30 minute drive – to enjoy an energetic horseback ride and to join their lion tour that involves feeding lion cubs and a walk with these endangered cats. The venue also hosts polo events.
6. The 140ha Hedianga Farm east of Garsfontein is a popular destination for mountain biking, trail running, birding and hiking. Hire a bike and test your skills on the challenging network of trails graded intermediate to advanced, or just enjoy the plentiful birdlife.
The nearest international airport is OR Tambo International Airport, 45km from Garsfontein. Domestic flights arrive and leave from Lanseria Airport, 53km away. Other airports for chartered flights are Wonderboom (30km) and Grand Central in Midrand (33km). Catch the Gautrain, a fast train service that travels between the OR Tambo Airport and the Hatfield station, 12km from Garsfontein. Car rental agencies are located at the airport and throughout Pretoria city or book a vehicle online. Metered taxi companies are based in and around the suburb, otherwise if you have the Uber app, order a ride via your mobile phone.
Did you know?
The Oostvallei Retirement Village in Garsfontein has the largest multi-residential solar PV power system in the country, making the homes in the village at least 60% more energy efficient. There are 20 mini solar farms installed on rooftops spread throughout the village.
As a young player, Garsfontein’s WOW Tennis Academy owner Graham Oosterlaak was coached by Chris Evert, the former world no. 1 female tennis star.