Price range, per nightmin R max R
Westville, Glenwood, Kloof, Oslo Beach, Champagne castle, Bluff, Cathedral Peak, Durban, Durban Beachfront, Umdloti Beach, Morningside, Kosi Bay, Umhlali, Sheffield Beach, Durban Central, Berea, Glen Ashley, Durban North, Kamberg, La Lucia
Glenmore is a tiny suburb, part of the larger suburban area of Berea in the city of Durban, KwaZulu-Natal Province. The suburb has excellent valley and harbour views and is surrounded by greenery. Barely large enough to cater for a single primary school, other higher education schools and colleges are situated in adjoining suburbs. The forested area north of Glenmore houses students attending the KwaZulu-Natal University and the university’s sports grounds.
Business visitors will appreciate Glenmore’s closeness to the airport, Durban’s Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre, and the Exhibition Centre, whereas holiday makers will love being near to the city’s attractions and fabulous beaches.
Top 6 reasons to visit Glenmore
1. Take a self-guided walk through the 10ha Pigeon Valley Nature Reserve, a section of urban forest in neighbouring Glenwood. Be on the lookout for rare birdlife up in the trees and various small mammals inhabiting the reserve.
2. Experience café ethos along Florida road in Berea where trendy boutiques, popup eateries and coffee houses abound.
3. Tour the Moses Mabhida Stadium on a Segway! The Segway Gliding Tour includes a 15-minute training session before the stadium tour commences. While there, the kids can enjoy the many activities at People’s Park surrounding the stadium.
4. Pack a picnic basket and explore the many swimming beaches along Durban’s coastline.
5. The Umgeni River Bird Park is a 10 minute drive from Glenmore. The park is based in an old quarry and the waterfall and surrounding bush is a peaceful setting for both the occupants and visitors. The daily bird shows are fascinating.
6. Durban is home to several cultures, amongst others , there are British, Indian and Zulu. A tour operator in Berea offers a Foodie Tour and an opportunity to sample the unique and divine dishes that have evolved from this mix of cultures.
Glenmore is 8kms from Durban’s King Shaka International Airport. Various car rental agencies operate throughout Durban and King Shaka Airport or book your vehicle online. Traditional taxi companies are available but if you have the Uber app, just order a ride using your mobile phone. The city operates a bus service in Glenmore.
Did you know?
Henry Cele, South Africa’s black equivalent of Laurence Olivier, is buried at the Stellawood Cemetery alongside Glenmore. With his booming voice and regal stature, he perfectly suited his role of King Shaka in the Shaka Zulu TV series that brought him international fame.
The subtropical climate of Durban is favourable for growing of bananas, gingerbread trees, loquats and pineapples. The fruit attracts the opportunistic vervet monkey, often seen in Durban gardens. Although cute looking, they are wild animals and should be treated as such.