Price range, per nightmin R max R
At Hunters Home, you’re in the heart of the world-famous Garden Route, a scenic stretch of coastline along South Africa’s Western Cape Province. Hunters Home is a suburb of Knysna, hailed as the Jewel of the Garden Route and the area’s most popular holiday destination.
Hunters Home lies on the shores of the Knysna lagoon and incorporates the Knysna Golf Course. The course designers took advantage of the location to skilfully plan the greens around tidal zones and indigenous vegetation.
Views at Hunters Home include the Knysna estuary westwards and the Knysna Heads to the south, two giant sandstone cliffs guarding either end of the river mouth. The eastern end of the suburb is bounded by indigenous forest.
Hunters Home is a quiet neighbourhood with attractive homes and established gardens and only minutes away from Knysna’s lively town centre.
Top 5 reasons to visit Hunter’s Home
1. Hunters Home is a golfer’s paradise. With the Knysna Golf Course only a few steps away, the avid player can also improve their handicap at the Simola Golf and Country Estate or the Pezula championship course, both located in Knysna.
2. Enjoy all that the Knysna lagoon has to offer by taking a ferry to the Featherbed Nature Reserve, be transported to the ridge via a 4x4 vehicle, hike down to ancient caves and end the day with an enjoyable meal on the water’s edge under shady trees.
3. The pristine beaches at Leisure Isle, Brenton on Sea and nearby Sedgefield are ideal for a fun beach outing. And surfers will appreciate the slick waves at Buffelsbaai (Buffalo Bay).
4. Challenging hiking and mountain bike trails crisscross the Knysna forest where the rarely seen Knysna elephant roams. Other adventure sports include a bungee jump from the Bloukrans Bridge – the highest jump in the world, tandem paragliding from The Knysna Heads and deep sea fishing in the Indian Ocean.
5. Thesen Harbour Town with its waterfront, marina, shopping facilities and profusion of restaurants is a bicycle ride away.
The nearest airport is George Airport, located 70km outside of Knysna. Several car rental agencies are based in Knysna and at George airport to hire a vehicle, or you could order a rental online. There are a number of metered taxi companies in Knysna. Shuttle service operators transport visitors between George Airport and Knysna.
Did you know?
Hunters Home stands on the first farm granted to a colonist farmer in 1770. He called the farm Melkhoutkraal, meaning Milkwood Pen.
Knysna’s slogan is “Naturally Knysna”, citizens respect nature and strive to live in harmony with the surrounding fauna and flora.
In 1842, a British Viscount’s son, Henry Barrington, attempted to start a silk industry in Knysna. He imported several Italian silk farmers from Turin but when the venture failed, the Italians were left to fend for themselves. Some became woodcutters and road builders, others returned to Italy. Today, Knysna has a number of their descendants.