Price range, per nightmin R max R
Braamfontein, Kyalami, Gold Reef City, Bryanston, Sunninghill, Melville, Dinokeng, North Riding, Midrand, O.R. Tambo Airport, Sandhurst, Northcliff - Johannesburg, Muldersdrift, Sandton, Rosebank JHB, Melrose, Linden, Fourways, Johannesburg (Joburg), Auckland Park
Johannesburg Zoo, Hillbrow Tower, Sandton City, SAB World of Beer, Moyo Restaurants, Nelson Mandela Square, Satyagraha House, Constitution Hill, Apartheid Museum, Nelson Mandela Bridge, Brenthurst Gardens, Newtown Cultural Precinct, Johannesburg Art Gallery and Sculpture Park, Radium Beer Hall, Enoch Sontonga Memorial Park, ABSA Art Gallery, The Bag Factory, Bensusan Photographic Museum, Oriental Plaza, Standard Bank Gallery, Rand Easter Show, MuseuMAfricA
Any mention of the word Lanseria evokes images of an International airport in Johannesburg, however, Lanseria has a wealth of farms, guest houses, cottages and equestrian centres encircled by scenic countryside and bound on two sides by the Jukskei and Crocodile rivers.
Visitors get to experience the suburb’s fresh champagne air and wide open spaces, yet remain within easy driving distance of the financial and business districts of Sandton, Pretoria and Johannesburg city. Lanseria is within touching distance of major attractions too, the Cradle of Humankind UNESCO World Heritage Site and the outdoor playgrounds of the Magaliesberg Mountains and the Hartbeespoort Dam are all easily reached on an excellent road network.
Lanseria is popular for its wedding venues and conference facilities, enabling guests and delegates to arrive hassle-free and be quickly transported to their destination. Some of the finest restaurants are located in Lanseria.
Top 8 reasons to visit Lanseria
1. The Forum’s L’antico Giardino is a stylish dining venue and the restaurant hosts the popular Farm to Table lunches on certain Sundays. Children are encouraged to bring their bicycles to explore the farm.
2. Hike the vast network of trails at the Kromdraai Conservancy while enjoying small game viewing. The conservancy encompasses the Wonder Cave, a spectacular cave that extends 125m deep into the earth. Other activities include a trout farm and animal farmyard for the children.
3. Spend a day at the Rhino & Lion Nature Reserve in Krugersdorp participating in the many activities available – game drives, guided walks and abseiling to name a few. The reserve has a number of eateries, the most popular being the Neck & Deck Café for feeding of tame giraffes at eye level.
4. The Culinary Table began as a demo kitchen in a catering company showroom and evolved into a much-loved restaurant with organic produce sourced from the attractive kitchen gardens and quality meat prepared at the onsite butchery. Coffee roasting and bread baking on the premises.
5. Horse riding is a passion in the north of Johannesburg and Lanseria has its share of stables and riding schools. Visit Eldorado Stables or Cathedral Horse Riding Centre to take a lesson from a qualified riding instructor.
6. Dirt Ryder Adventures offers go-karting for all ages, paintball and archery. The venue has a rustic restaurant for catering and a pub to cool off after the fun activities.
7. Their commercial brewery is located in Lanseria but to sample CopperLake Breweries beers you will need to travel to Broadacres Shopping Centre, roughly 10km away. The brewpub offers 8 different varieties of craft beer on tap. Closed on Mondays.
8. Relax and unwind at Aloeverde Spa. Holistic and natural treatments range from a couple’s massage to full body treatments.
The Lanseria International Airport is located within the suburb of Lanseria. An alternate airport is the OR Tambo International Airport, 52km from Lanseria. Hire a vehicle from any of the car rental agencies resident at the airport or order a rental online. The only authorised transport provider at Lanseria airport is the Lanseria Airport Taxi Services Company. If travelling to OR Tambo Airport, metered taxi operators, shuttle service companies and Uber are available to transport you to your destination.
Did you know?
There are three flying schools situated in and around the Lanseria airport. Flight simulators are available and training is offered to private and commercial pilots, and to ground crew.
Lanseria Airport sees its share of celebrities seeking anonymity arrive through its gates. Recently, One Direction slipped in to avoid the crowds but screaming fans were already waiting. On his first trip to Johannesburg following his release, Nelson Mandela chose to fly in to the Lanseria Airport.
The airport has a pet lounge to house, comfort and transport animals. The company will even arrange flights for tropical fish!