Price range, per nightmin R max R
Johannesburg (Joburg), Sandhurst, Melville, Fourways, Auckland Park, Sandton, Killarney, Melrose, Gold Reef City, Sunninghill, O.R. Tambo Airport, Northcliff - Johannesburg, North Riding, Kyalami, Rosebank JHB, Muldersdrift, Braamfontein, Lanseria, Dinokeng, Bryanston
Johannesburg Zoo, Sandton City, Hillbrow Tower, Nelson Mandela Square, SAB World of Beer, Satyagraha House, Moyo Restaurants, Constitution Hill, Brenthurst Gardens, Apartheid Museum, Newtown Cultural Precinct, Enoch Sontonga Memorial Park, Radium Beer Hall, Johannesburg Art Gallery and Sculpture Park, Nelson Mandela Bridge, ABSA Art Gallery, The Bag Factory, Bensusan Photographic Museum, Oriental Plaza, Rand Easter Show, Standard Bank Gallery, MuseuMAfricA
Midrand is a suburb of Johannesburg that lies midway between this city and Pretoria, South Africa’s two principal financial and business centres. Previously a municipality, Midrand was incorporated into the City of Johannesburg Metro and has experienced rapid growth over the last 15 years.
Many large corporates have their head offices located in Midrand due to the excellent transport network, nearby higher learning centres and modern cluster living available to young families and executives.
The largest mall in Africa is under construction in Midrand, due for completion in 2016 and chartered flights can land at the privately owned Grand Central Airport, making Midrand a convenient destination for anyone visiting Gauteng Province.
Top 5 reasons to visit Midrand
1. For companies wanting to host large international events, Midrand has South Africa’s largest conference centre at Gallagher Estate. The 30ha estate has formal gardens, restaurant facilities and the Gautrain (express rail service direct to the airport) stops here. It’s also the seat of the African Parliament, the African Union’s legislative body.
2. Midrand is a 1 hour drive from the game parks in the Dinokeng Game Reserve and the opportunity to see the Big 5 (lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and buffalo).
3. The Dainfern Country Club is on South Africa’s first ever residential golf estate, created in 1991. The club has a beautiful 18-hole golf course along the Jukskei River, designed by Gary Player.
4. Visit the nearby Croc City Crocodile & Reptile Park for an education in the Nile crocodile and South Africa’s venomous snakes. A zip line flies over the crocodile enclosure.
5. Hop on the highway and visit Johannesburg’s attractions only 20 minutes away. Experience a tour of Soweto’s Vilakazi Street where 2 of South Africa’s Nobel Peace prize winners lived, Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu. The Montecasino entertainment complex is worth a visit as is a trip down a mine shaft at the Gold Reef City theme park. North of Midrand 35 minutes away is Pretoria with its fabulous museum of natural history and zoo.
Midrand is 20 minutes from OR Tambo International Airport. National flights arrive and depart from Lanseria Airport, a 35 minute drive west of Midrand. The Gautrain (express rail service) operates to the Gallagher Estate. There are a number of metered taxi and shuttle service companies operating in Midrand, otherwise register with Uber and order a ride via your mobile phone.
Did you know?
The Kyalami race circuit, originally built in 1961, was recently purchased by Porsche SA for R205 million and the company spent a further R100 million on track realignment and venue renovation. The track opening is imminent. Kyalami last hosted a Formula 1 event in 1993 which was won by Frenchman Alain Prost.
Parliamentarians from 47 African Union member states attending African Parliament meetings, international visitors arriving for conference events and Lipizzaner show participants all gather in Midrand therefore the accommodation would have to be – and is – of the highest standard.
Midrand’s proposed Waterfall City mixed-use urban development is set to be a city within a city. Aside from the vast Africa mall, businesses and residences will co-exist in parklike surroundings. Waterfall City is expected to be the new lifestyle experience.