Price range, per nightmin R max R
The Lakes road into Old Place in Knysna is filled with wow moments and the suburb’s location overlooking the lagoon will not disappoint. Old Place is situated east of Knysna with views of Thesen Island and within walking distance of the marina and town centre. The main highway is routed through Old Place.
Knysna is the premier town on South Africa’s Garden Route, a popular vacation spot for international and local visitors. The town is GLBT friendly, hosting the wildly popular Pink Loerie Mardi Gras and Arts Festival. The annual oyster festival is another Knysna event well attended by visitors from all parts of the country.
Old Place is in the centre of the most happening areas of Thesen’s Island and the Knysna Waterfront.
The suburb is part of the original farm Melkhoutkraal where ox wagons once travelled the old toll road that runs through Old Place.
Top 6 reasons to visit Old Place
1. Take the self-guided Heritage Building Walk through Knysna town that includes a visit of George Rex’s grave at Old Place, the town’s founder and believed to be a disgraced member of British royalty.
2. Shopping is a treat at the Waterfront Knysna Quays laden with speciality stores, fashionwear and chic restaurants that overlook the luxury yachts moored in the marina.
3. Visit the Millwood House Museum in town. The building, built entirely of wood and corrugated iron, was carefully dismantled from its original location in Millwood forest and reconstructed in town. The house depicts typical living during the 1886 gold rush.
4. To better experience the region’s gold discoveries, travel to the old Millwood ghost town via the attractive Jubilee Creek picnic site. There are several mine shafts to explore, the Bendingo mine at 160m is the most interesting. Bats make the mine their home and relics surround the shaft.
5. An oyster tour includes a boat trip along the Knysna lagoon and participants are taught how to shuck this saltwater clam. En route, indulge in fresh oysters complemented by a glass of crisp white wine.
6. Hire a canoe at the Goukamma Nature and Marine Reserve to paddle along the serene river and appreciate the riverine forest and coastal scenery. The 18km stretch of beach is almost pristine and perfect for a lazy stroll.
The nearest airport is George Airport, located 70km outside of Knysna. Several car rental agencies are based in Knysna and at George airport to hire a vehicle, or you could order a rental online. There are a number of metered taxi companies in Knysna. Shuttle service operators transport visitors between George Airport and Old Place.
Did you know?
The Knysna museum complex is located at an intersection that residents referred to as Temptation, Condemnation, Damnation and Redemption. Temptation for the drinking hole at the old Royal Hotel, condemnation at the magistrate’s court, damnation at the goal (the current museum) and redemption at the St George’s church on the 4th corner!
The Knysna Heads are classified as natural heritage sites and the western head is a refuge for the endangered blue duiker buck.