Price range, per nightmin R max R
Consisting of 21 smaller suburbs, the extensive mixed development suburb of Randburg falls under the city of Johannesburg and includes sophisticated residential zones, parklands and semi-rural spaces. Randburg has a number of well-designed business parks too, along with two beautiful golf courses and several large, contemporary shopping centres. Randburg is interspersed with natural features such as the Melville Koppies (hills) and the popular parks at the Alberts Farm Conservancy and Delta Park are frequented by families, dog walkers, picnickers and cyclists. The Johannesburg Botanical Gardens complex is located here.
Randburg boasts an energetic nightlife and restaurant scene with sports, gay, wine and music bars spread throughout the area. Further north are the suburb’s rolling hills studded with horse farms and smallholdings.
The main highways criss-cross the suburb for hassle free travel into Johannesburg and Pretoria, and north to the Kruger National Park.
Top 8 reasons to visit Randburg
1. Brightwater Commons is a vast shopping mall designed around waterways and tracts of greenery. The centre actively promotes events that feature festivals, gourmet food shows, hair extravaganzas, outdoor movies, Halloween costume competitions, even a Dachshund Day! An onsite skate park is sure to thrill skaters.
2. The established Randpark Golf Club has two 18-hole courses, Firethorn and Bushwillow, each with their own set of challenges. The club offers night golf, held over 6 holes and using luminous golf balls.
3. Considered by Johannesburg residents as the best passive recreation space in the city, the Johannesburg Botanical Gardens offers pleasurable walks through tree-lined formal gardens and water features set amongst diverse plant life. The complex encompasses the popular Emmarentia Dam.
4. Market stall holders at the Chill at the Market outdoor market in North Riding sell heavenly street food created using organic products, unique crafts and exclusive African clothing, to name a few. The market’s honesty book stall invites visitors to swap books and thereby encourages reading.
5. For military buffs or families with active children, the SA National Museum of Military History is worth a visit to attend a guided tour. The museum offers select equipment for ‘hands-on’ purposes. Open on weekdays only.
6. The 26ha Montecasino leisure resort and entertainment centre is located in neighbouring Fourways. Enjoy an excellent meal on the piazza or just chill and watch a movie. Families with children will appreciate the Bird & Wildlife Park and for late night entertainment, try the slot machines. The resort’s theatre regularly hosts top local and international acts.
7. For visitors seeking a wildlife experience and without travelling too far, the Pilanesberg National Park affords the opportunity to see the Big 5, namely – lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo. Located in a transition zone, the park is home to a variety of animal species and birdlife.
8. Randburg has a range of spas and beauty salons to revitalise the body and get you into that holiday mood. Ask your host for directions to the nearest centre.
Randburg is approximately 35km from OR Tambo International Airport. National flights arrive and depart from Lanseria Airport, roughly 30km north of Randburg. Order a car rental from the various agencies at the airports or online. There are a number of metered taxi and shuttle service companies operating in Randburg otherwise register with Uber and order a ride via your mobile phone.
Did you know?
The Johannesburg Zoo in Randburg is regarded as one of the world’s best and is designed with open, spacious enclosures for visitors to easily view the more than 380 species on display. The zoo is a great place to see typical African wildlife without having to travel afar.
Randburg is a shopping mecca with malls numbering into double figures. Visitors arrive from all parts of Johannesburg to shop at the large centres such as Northgate, Cresta and Brightwater Commons. Other, smaller and more intimate malls include Blairgowrie Plaza, Randridge Mall and Appleton’s Village.