Price range, per nightmin R max R
Camps Bay, Cape Town City Centre / CBD, Paarl, Simon's Town, Green Point, Sea Point, Stellenbosch, Hout Bay, Gordon's Bay, Somerset West, Cape Town, V&A Waterfront, Bloubergstrand, Hermanus, Franschhoek
The Strand is a lovely small beachfront town overlooking False Bay, with an amazing view right across the bay to Table Mountain in Cape Town. It is built along a 5kms stretch of perfect straight beach, with a backdrop of the Hottentot Holland Mountains behind.
Along with Gordon’s Bay and Somerset West, both only 5 kms away, the Strand is a seaside resort and part of the scenic Helderberg Basin, entirely surrounded by thousands of acres of nature reserves and mountain ranges.
This little coastal town was first established as a tiny fishing village in 1712. The beach soon became well known as one of the best in the Cape, as it has a particularly safe and protected beach. The water at the Strand is an unusual exquisite translucent turquoise, as the sea here is shallow and clear.
The climate is mediterranean, with dry warm summers. Winters are moderate, though chilly in the evenings.
8 Reasons You will Love Staying at the Strand
1. The Strand is in a stunning scenic setting of great natural beauty, with gorgeous sea views.You can enjoy safe swimming and water sports on the long beach, with gentle waves, and a lovely tidal pool.Other watersports are surfing, sailing, power boating, paddle skiing and board sailing. It is also good for angling and easy surfing for beginners.There is a massive enclosed Olympic heated pool open every day,an 18 hole golf course set in parklands, and numerous other sports facilities.
2. The Promenade is a stretch along the beach road of restaurants, cafes and charming shops, including a lovely shell shop.There is a Water world, super tubes, mini golf, a fun park and water slides to keep children happy.
3. The little town centre has shopping malls, restaurants, banks and supermarkets. At the Strand you have all conveniences, and the huge Somerset Mall is just up the road.
4. The Strand is a perfect base for you to explore the Cape Peninsula. You are only 50 kms away on an excellent motorway from Cape Town, and all the attractions there.
5. The Helderberg Wine Route has over 30 wine estates. Stellenbosch, Franschhoek and Paarl are not far from the Strand, about 40 minutes away. The Cape Winelands and Hermanus, are all nearby. Some of the estates have world class superb restaurants.
6. You can visit the graceful National Treasures of Cape Dutch architecture, at the impressive Vergelegen and Lourensford Estates in Somerset West.
Monkey Town is also near Somerset West, where many species of monkeys and chimps are cared for, and both adults and children will be fascinated.
7. The pretty little harbour village of Gordon’s Bay is 5kms away, and continuing along the R44 towards Kleinmond and Betty’s Bay, is one of the most beautiful coastal drives in South Africa.This scenic route along Clarence Drive towards Pringle Bay has the enormous expanse of ocean on one side, and the towering mountains with the nature reserves and fynbos on the other side, There are several view sites along the road. It is also part of the whale route, with a penguin colony and baboons.
8. The 18000 ha Kogelberg Nature Reserve is on the mountains behind the Strand, and was Africa’s first biosphere reserve. It has adventure activities like skydiving, hiking and mountain biking. There are bontebok, as well as rich birdlife in the reserve. There are several hiking trails through the mountains with breathtaking views.
The Crystal Springs Hike follows the stream through a gully between the mountains with many crystal clear pools.
The Helderberg Nature Reserve, only 30 minutes away, is another reserve, a magnificent 400ha wild flower garden with species of mountain fynbos only found here, and hiking trails.
Where To Stay
There is superb beachfront accommodation available overlooking the bay. There are luxury lodges, villas, holiday beach houses, self catering apartments and penthouses with magnificent views.
The Strand is only 26mins from the main Cape Town Airport.There are shuttle services, and cars can be rented at the airport.