Price range, per nightmin R max R
The prestigious old established suburb of Westville in Durban, sits atop a high ridge. The sought after houses are abundant in foliage, with lovely gardens, and have magnificent valley views. The suburb is 10kms out of Durban, in the KwaZulu-Natal, and is renowned for its esteemed schools and university. Westville’s Pavilion Mall attracts almost 16 million visitors monthly.
In 1848 an English entrepreneur shipped 88 Germans to this area to launch a cotton industry. The venture failed, however, many of the German immigrants that remained, successfully converted the farmlands to other crops after the original farm was divided and sold as smallholdings.
Westville’s elevated location escapes the often oppressive humidity and high heat experienced by Durban. Year round temperatures here would be considered pleasant. The national highway passes through Westville for easy access to Durban, or to the north, direct to Johannesburg.
Top 6 reasons to visit Westville
1. Delight in the many shopping options available at the Pavilion Mall. The centre has 245 retail outlets, 40 restaurants, 12 cinemas, a skate park, tenpin bowling and arcade games for the children.
2. You can hike the Palmiet Nature Reserve trails to find the old ram pump, designed to pump water using gravity alone. The scenic trails lead along a river’s edge to majestic cliffs. Archaeological digs in the reserve have uncovered ancient grinding stones and other artefacts.
3. You could drive the short distance into Durban, then take the Ricksha Bus 3-hour tour of the city’s main attractions. Spend some time in the craft markets and street bazaars before taking a dip at one of the many beaches along Durban’s coastline.
4. The sheer cliffs in Monteseel are a popular hangout for experienced rock climbers. The area is also well known for the ancient cycads, some as old as 3000 years, growing in a deep gorge. A conservancy has been established to protect these ancient plants.
5. Visit the Phezulu Safari Park in the Valley of 1000 Hills to enjoy the various attractions in the park including a game drive, a cultural village experience and a feeding of the Nile crocodile at the Crocodile & Snake Park.
6. Get into the holiday mode by relieving tension and rejuvenating the body at a half-day session offered at the Kimaya Day Spa in Westville.
There are many delightful guest houses, and self catering apartments, also a conference centre.
The nearest airport is King Shaka International Airport, 40km from Westville. There many car rental agencies in Durban city centre and at King Shaka airport, or you could order a rental online. Several shuttle service companies operate out of Durban and the airport for travel to and from Westville. Uber also operates in Durban.
Did you know?
Rudyard Kipling once wrote that East is East and West is West, and never the two shall meet. Throw this theory out of the window when it comes to Durban, where, amongst others, 5th generation South African-born Indians and Brits happily coexist.
Outspan Road in Westville was once the old wagon road to the interior. Here travellers would outspan their oxen alongside an old Natal fig tree. A plaque commemorates this tree, referred to as the Outspan Tree.